RECIPE: Vegan Lemon & Rosemary Cake
SCROLL FOR RECIPE ↓
When we moved into our new house just before Christmas, my mum gave us a beautiful lemon tree as a housewarming present. I’m absolutely in love with it and tend to it very carefully, but it came with a huge fully-grown lemon attached to it that I’ve been trying to put to use. It was such a beautiful fruit that I was determined to use it in something special, so after a little thinking I decided to make this zesty lemon and rosemary loaf cake, smothered in tangy white icing.
The secret to this lovely little cake is the extra dash of rosemary - it doesn’t overpower, but just gives a little lift to the flavour that’s perfect for an afternoon tea in spring. I actually used up a bottle of rosemary-infused olive oil I was given as a Christmas present, but it’s super easy to make your own. Simply add fresh rosemary sprigs to a bottle of olive oil and leave to infuse for at least two weeks.
RECIPE: VEGAN LEMON & ROSEMARY CAKE
250g plain flour
200g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 lemon, juiced and zested
150ml plant-based milk
100ml olive oil, infused with rosemary
100g icing sugar
1. Grease a standard 1lb loaf tin and preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and lemon zest in a large bowl.
3. Add to the mixture the plant-based milk, olive oil and half the lemon juice.
4. Combine well until a smooth mixture is formed, then pour into the loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, make the icing by mixing the icing sugar with the remaining lemon juice. Add a little extra water or lemon juice if it’s too sticky.
6. Allow the cake to cool before drizzling the icing over the cake, and enjoy!